On Water Boat Training Course
On-The-Water Boating Course
ON WATER BOAT TRAINING COURSE
The Naples School of Boating offers an On-The-Water Boat Training Course for boat owners in Naples, Fort Myers and Marco Island, Florida. This program is designed to help boat owners become safer and more confident on the water through practical hands-on training.
The cost of this course begins at $500. Please review the FAQ’s below for additional information. If you are not a boat owner, please review our Rental Boat Training Program so that we can help you become a safe and confident recreational boater.
FLORIDA SAFE BOATING COURSE
At the Naples School of Boating, we take boater safety and education very seriously. Prior to completing ANY of our training programs, trainees MUST complete the Florida Safe Boating Course. The cost of this course is free and it can be completed entirely online. Here is the link to the FREE Florida Safe Boating Course. Once you have completed the Florida Safe Boating Course and have a certificate of completion we can begin scheduling the on-water components of the course.
ON-WATER BOAT TRAINING SESSIONS
Our On-Water Training Course is a 4-hour program taught by a Licensed Captain aboard your boat. This session will expand upon the knowledge gained in the Florida Safe Boating Course and prepare you for saltwater boating in Southwest Florida.
COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Understanding the Aids to Navigation System: ATON’s are a critical part of safe and successful navigation and this course will teach you how to identify and interpret the ATON’s that you will encounter in Southwest Florida.
- Understanding Nautical Charts: While GPS technology is our first choice for navigation, it is still important to be able to read and understand nautical charts, which are the basis for all charts that are used in GPS technology.
- Navigating with GPS: We provide a live demonstration of Navionics along side of your primary boat GPS. You will learn to create waypoints, plan routes and find other important information within both Navionics and your Garmin, Raymarine or Simrad GPS.
- Tides in Southwest Florida: Understanding how tides and currents will affect your voyage is a critical component in your training. We will provide you with the knowledge and resources that you need to make informed decisions regarding tides.
- Marine Weather: Understanding the marine weather in the Gulf of Mexico is another critical factor when planning a day on the water. We will provide you with the resources, information and advice that you need to make informed weather decisions.
- Docking Practice: For most trainees, docking is the most challenging part. In the first of two docking practice sessions, you will learn the fundamentals of maneuvering in close quarters and controlling the vessel using both steering and propulsion.
- Anchoring: Proper anchoring procedures are important for the safety of your vessel. We will demonstrate the proper and safe way to anchor your vessel.
- VHF Radio: We provide instruction on how to properly use VHF radio for communication and safety.
- Other Marine Electronics: If your vessel is equipped with radar or auto-pilot, we will provide instruction on the safe and proper use of each.
- Mechanical and Electrical System Overview: We will provide you with an overview of your mechanical and electrical system as needed based on your existing knowledge and understanding of it.
- Safety Review: We will review all of your required safety equipment including life jackets, flares, and sound producing devices. We will also suggest additional safety equipment based on the type of vessel and intended uses.
FAQ’S ABOUT THE ON-WATER BOAT TRAINING COURSE
What is the cost of the On-Water Boat Training Course? The cost is $500 which includes the following:
- One 4-hour training session aboard your boat
- No extra charge for a second trainee
- One hour of round trip travel for each session at no extra charge
Additional hourly time including travel will be billed at $125 per hour. Prices are subject to change at any time. You will be provided with a customer agreement form that outline all of the policies, procedures and fees that apply.
When are the courses offered? Courses are offered daily from 9AM to 1PM, subject to instructor availability.
Can I buy additional training sessions? Yes! You may purchase additional training sessions at any time. This is ideal for those who need extra practice, have a requirement from their insurance company for a required amount of training, and for training aboard larger and more complex vessels. You can purchase additional 4-hour sessions from 9AM to 1PM at a cost of $500. Alternatively you can purchase shorter, 3-hour sessions from 2PM to 5PM at a cost of $375
How Do I Pay for the for the course? Payment is due at the time the course is scheduled. You will receive an electronic invoice via email that can be paid with credit or debit card, ACH transfer or ApplePay. We do not accept Venmo or PayPal.
How do I schedule an On-Water Boat Training Course? Use the webform on our Contact Page to reach out to us and let us know that you are interested. You will receive a call from us to discuss the program and answer any questions that you may have. Please note that you will not be allowed to schedule any training appointments until you have completed the Florida Safe Boating Course and send us a copy of your certificate, which you will be able to print out as soon as you complete the Florida Safe Boating Course.
Can my spouse or significant other join me for the training? Absolutely! We encourage this and it’s why we don’t charge extra for a second trainee. Please note that anyone who wants to be an active participant in the training and take the wheel of the boat needs to complete the Florida Safe Boating Course.
Does this On-Water Boat Training Course satisfy my insurance company’s requirements? Yes! Our On-The-Water Boat Training Course will meet or exceed the requirements of boat and yacht insurance companies. Increasingly, marine insurance companies are requiring recreational boaters to complete on-the-water training in addition to classroom based safe boating courses as a condition of insurability. We can help you meet these requirements, become confident at the helm of your new boat, and potentially reduce the cost of your insurance premiums. At the completion of the training, we will provide you with a cover letter outlining the training that you have completed in addition to a syllabus of all learning objectives that are covered during the training. Our On-Water-Boat Training Course follows the national education standards established by the Coast Guard and is widely accepted by boat and yacht insurance companies. All classes and courses at the Naples School of Boating are taught by a Licensed Captain with more than a decade of experience a boating instructor.