On Water Boat Training Course
On-The-Water Power Boat Training Course
ON WATER BOAT TRAINING COURSE
The Naples School of Boating offers an On-The-Water Boat Training Course for boat owners in Naples, Fort Myers and Marco Island, Florida. This program is designed to help boat owners become safer and more confident on the water through practical hands-on training.
If you are not a boat owner, please review our Rental Boat Training Program so that we can help you become a safe and confident recreational boater. The cost of this course begins at $500.
FLORIDA BOATING SAFETY COURSE
Prior to completing our training program, trainees must complete the Florida Boating Safety Course, or show proof that any NASBLA approved safe boating course has been completed. The cost of this course is free and it can be completed entirely online. Here is the link to the FREE Florida Safe Boating Course. Once you have completed the Florida Safe Boating Course and have a certificate of completion we can begin scheduling the on-water components of the course.
ON-WATER BOAT TRAINING SESSIONS
Our On-Water Training Course is taught by a Licensed Captain aboard your boat. This session will expand upon the knowledge gained in the Florida Safe Boating Course and prepare you for saltwater boating in Southwest Florida.
COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Understanding the Aids to Navigation System: ATON’s are a critical part of safe and successful navigation and this course will teach you how to identify and interpret the ATON’s that you will encounter in Southwest Florida.
- Navigating with GPS: We provide a live demonstration of Navionics along side of your primary boat GPS.
- Tides and Currents: Understanding how tides and currents will affect your voyage is a critical component in your training. We will provide you with the knowledge and resources that you need to make informed decisions regarding tides.
- Piloting the Vessel: You will learn to navigate channels and open water areas to a destination.
- Marine Weather: Understanding the marine weather in the Gulf of Mexico is another critical factor when planning a day on the water. We will provide you with the resources, information and advice that you need to make informed weather decisions.
- Docking Practice: For most trainees, docking is the most challenging part. In the first of two docking practice sessions, you will learn the fundamentals of maneuvering in close quarters and controlling the vessel using both steering and propulsion.
- Anchoring: Proper anchoring procedures are important for the safety of your vessel. We will demonstrate the proper and safe way to anchor your vessel.
- VHF Radio: We provide instruction on how to properly use VHF radio for communication and safety.
- Safety Review: We will review all of your required safety equipment including life jackets, flares, and sound producing devices. We will also suggest additional safety equipment based on the type of vessel and intended uses.
FAQ’S ABOUT THE ON-WATER BOAT TRAINING COURSE
When are the courses offered?
Courses are offered Monday through Saturday from 9AM to 1PM, subject to instructor availability.
Can I buy additional training sessions?
Yes! You may purchase additional training sessions at any time.
How Do I Pay for the for the course?
Payment is due at the time the course is scheduled. You will receive an electronic invoice via email that can be paid with credit or debit card, ACH transfer or ApplePay. We do not accept Venmo or PayPal.
Are there other fees associated with the course?
Typically not. You will receive a customer agreement form prior to the course that explains all of our prices and fees for services.
How do I schedule an On-Water Boat Training Course?
Use the webform on our Contact Page to reach out to us and let us know that you are interested. You will receive a call from us to discuss the program and answer any questions that you may have.
How many people are allowed on the boat for the training?
Our course fee covers two trainees.
Does this On-Water Boat Training Course satisfy my insurance company’s requirements?
Yes! Our On-The-Water Boat Training Course will meet or exceed the requirements of boat and yacht insurance companies. Increasingly, marine insurance companies are requiring recreational boaters to complete on-the-water training in addition to classroom based safe boating courses as a condition of insurability. We can help you meet these requirements, become confident at the helm of your new boat, and potentially reduce the cost of your insurance premiums. At the completion of the training, we will provide you with a cover letter outlining the training that you have completed in addition to a syllabus of all learning objectives that are covered during the training. Our On-Water-Boat Training Course follows the national education standards established by the Coast Guard and is widely accepted by boat and yacht insurance companies.